Terms & Conditions
Processing of personal information
We will only process personal information insofar as it is necessary to ensure that the website operates optimally (see “Cookies” below), and where you provide your consent by supplying personal information to us, such as when you complete our occasional surveys and member polls.
Sharing / disclosure
We will not share that Information with Third Parties without your permission, other than outlines below. It will only be used for the purposes stated above, namely to ensure the proper functioning of the website, as per your chosen cookies (see below), and to provide feedback to us.
We may disclose your Personal Information only if required to do so by law or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to:
- conform to the law or comply with legal process served on the Responsible Party or the website;
- protect and defend the rights or property of the Responsible Party and its website; or
- act in urgent circumstances to protect the personal safety of the Responsible Party’s employees, users of our products or services or members of the public.
The Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association of Southern Africa may collect statistics about the behaviour of visitors to its website. We may display this information publicly or provide it to others. We collect IP addresses for the purposes of system administration and to audit the use of the website. We do not ordinarily link IP addresses to personal information, which means that your session may remain anonymous.
Where we have processed your personal information, e.g., as feedback to us, or as part of the membership satisfaction survey, we use a variety of security technologies and procedures to help protect your Personal Information from unauthorised access, use or disclosure. For example, we store the Personal Information you provide in computer servers with limited access that are located in controlled facilities.
Although we take all reasonable steps to ensure that our website will be secure, we will not be liable for any unavailability, interruption, downtime, malfunction, or failure of the Website for any reason whatsoever. We are also unable to guarantee that the website is free of viruses, destructive materials or any other data or code which is able to harm or otherwise impede in any manner the operation of a computer system, computer network or your hardware or software and you accept all risks in this respect. Please report any technical difficulties to us here.
You can accept, reject or adjust your cookie settings by clicking here. You can also configure your browser to enable or disable cookies on your computer or phone (Safari, Explorer, Google Chrome, Firefox, Android / IOS, etc.).
Disabling performance and functionality would mean that the site would no longer remember your previous preferences and settings, which may limit your experience on our website.
Your rights under the POPI Act
Where your personal information is provided as part of the Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association of Southern Africa website, you have the right, at any time to:
- Notification that includes: when personal information is being collected, the type of information collected, for what purpose, whether the information is to be supplied voluntarily or is collected mandatory, and whether the information would be transferred to a third country and the protections afforded there;
- Notification if there has been unlawful access or acquisition of your personal information;
- Request a record of their Personal Information;
- Request the correction, deletion and/or destruction of your Personal Information;
- Object to the processing of Personal Information;
- Exercise the right to withdraw the consent to processing, if voluntarily given (i.e. if not required by a law);
- Not be subjected to unsolicited electronic communication and/or marketing, unless the you are a member or user with whom we have a sales or service record, or the person has consented to the communication and the person has had an opportunity to object to the communication;
- Not to be subjected to automated decision-making based on the personal information in contravention of section 71, POPI Act, i.e. where information is used to for example decline benefits or services automatically;
- Submit a complaint to the Information Regulator; and
- Institute civil proceedings regarding an alleged interference with his/her/its personal information in terms of section 99, POPI Act.
Contacting our Information Officer
You can always contact us in relation to your personal information through this email.
Not healthcare advice
The information on the Website is not intended to, and does not, constitute professional healthcare advice or a replacement or substitute for professional healthcare advice of any nature whatsoever, including (without limitation) in respect of any diagnosis, treatment or care to a specific health question or condition.
The lists of healthcare professionals who are our members does not constitute any preference or endorsement of the Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association of Southern Africa, and should not replace any person’s right to choose a healthcare professional.
Where we provide healthcare information, such is of a general- and educational nature, and must not be construed as individual healthcare advice.
Apart from where licensed from third parties, all intellectual property rights, including all rights, title and interest (statutory and common law) in source codes, programming, copyright, of whatsoever nature existing now and in the future, remain the absolute property of the Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association of Southern Africa.
All information published on the Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association of Southern Africa’s website is copyrighted, and may not be republished, used or shared without our permission. Certain information may be copyrighted to third parties.
LINKS TO OTHER SITES
When using the Hepato-Pancreato-Biliary Association of Southern Africa ‘s Website, you could be directed to other sites that are beyond our control. These other web sites may send their own cookies to you, collect data or solicit personal information. We do not control the privacy policies of those third-party websites.
Hyperlinking to our website
Any entity wishing the hyperlink to our website, should contact the ASSA Secretariat.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, we exclude all representations, warranties and conditions relating to our website and the use of this website (including, without limitation, any warranties implied by law in respect of satisfactory quality, fitness for purpose and/or the use of reasonable care and skill).